The Economics with Finance degree blends economics with finance-related modules. Two thirds of the degree's modules are economics-based whilst the other third are finance. Finance is the study of investment and money management and as such complements the economics modules. This degree provides an excellent platform for graduates to pursue a career in economics, finance and related industries.
Economics with Finance Degree highlights
The Queen's Economics group ranked 2nd of all Russell Group universities for student satisfaction in the 2016 National Student Survey.
- There is also the opportunity to study or work abroad, supported by schemes such as Erasmus and Study USA.
- The Study USA programme provides students with the funded opportunity to study for a year in a US university.
- Economics with Finance students may take an optional placement year after their second year. Recent placements from students studying economics and business economics include: PwC, KPMG, Citi, Oxford Economics, Belfast City Council, First Derivatives, and Tayto Group Ltd.
Internationally Renowned Experts
- Many of our staff are leading international experts in their fields of research.
- Queen's is one of the 24 world-class universities that make up the Russell Group in the United Kingdom, and is the only Russell Group University in Northern Ireland.
- The Queen's Economics group ranked 2nd of all Russell Groupuniversities for student satisfaction in the 2016 National Student Survey.
- Students can join the Trading and Investment Club, a student runorganisation which aims to educate its members on trading and investing through guest speakers, competitions and educational seminars.
Mark Carvill, BSc Economics with Finance
Students graduating with a degree in Economics from Queen's are well placed to secure a range of employment
opportunities in economics and related areas in the public and private sectors. In recent years, students have secured positions in economic analysis and appraisal with a range of government and other public sector organisations, specialist careers in banking and investment appraisal, as well as more generalist positions in economic consulting.
Employment after the Course
Typical career destinations of graduates include:
Managers and Administrators in areas such as market research, advertising, sales and personnel
Education, health or government departments
Graduate employers include: PwC; KPMG; Capita; Ulster Bank; Citi; Northern Ireland Civil Service, The Treasury, Dow Chemical, BT
'I provide strategic insight into the Bank of Ireland's key markets in the UK and am responsible for all its economic and market research, briefings and presentations in Northern Ireland.'
Alan Bridle, Graduate in BSc Economics
Head of Economics and Market Analysis, Bank of Ireland, London and Northern Ireland
What employers say'For many years Oxford Economics has recruited students from Queen's Economics degree, both for industrial placement and graduate positions. The course equips students with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills required to hit the ground running in the workplace."
David Moore, Senior Economist, Oxford Economics, Northern Ireland
Additional Awards Gained(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Prizes and Awards
Foundation Scholarships for best student in Economics Level 1 and Level 2
KPMG Prize is awarded to the best graduate in the BSc Economics degree
McKane Medal is awarded to the best final honours student in Economics
Shaw Memorial Prize for best performing second-year student in BSc Economics
Top performing students are regularly awarded prizes and scholarships from leading companies.
Degree plus award for extra-curricular skills
In addition to your degree programme, at Queen's you can have the opportunity to gain wider life, academic and employability skills. For example, placements, voluntary work, clubs, societies, sports and lots more. So not only do you graduate with a degree recognised from a world leading university, you'll have practical national and international experience plus a wider exposure to life overall. We call this Degree Plus. It's what makes studying at Queen's University Belfast special.