Being successful in business today requires the development of leaders with a global mind set. All organisations are now operating in a competitive global marketplace, seeking to expand and develop their business beyond their national borders. Success in foreign markets requires knowledge of how to adapt to local cultures, languages and customers as well as an understanding of fundamental business theories and practices. Global leaders ultimately cultivate cultural intelligence by travelling to and working in different cultures, developing and applying both their business and language skills.
International Business with German Degree highlights
Year 3 is spent abroad on a compulsory international work placement in a region of the globe where the language being studied is the dominant tongue.
- There is also the opportunity to study or work abroad, supported by schemes such as Erasmus and Study USA.
- Students have the opportunity to hear from industry professionals who regularly deliver guest lectures. The opportunity to network afterwards can give students valuable connections with senior professionals working in management.
- Year 3 is spent abroad on a compulsory international work placement in a region of the globe where the language being studied is the dominant tongue. This is an integral part of the degree, providing students with the fluency and confidence to communicate and work effectively in an international business environment.
Internationally Renowned Experts
- Queen's is one of the 24 world-class universities that make up the Russell Group in the United Kingdom, and is the only Russell Group University in Northern Ireland.
- Many of our staff are leading international experts in their fields of research.
- Students will experience a variety of teaching methods including brain-storming, individual and paired reflection, discussion exercises, presentation, case studies, group work and practical workshops. A range of e-learning experiences are also embedded in the degree programme through the use of, for example, interactive support materials, podcasts and web-based learning activities.
Shona McCotter, BSc. International Business with Spanish (2017 graduate) UK Management Undergraduate of the Year 2016
Those pursuing a career in International Business with a Language should enjoy working with people as they will have to generate information from a wide variety of sources as they attempt to improve the business (entering new global markets or developing new products or becoming more competitive internationally etc) or solve a specific management related issue. They should be effective communicators as they will be expected to engage with a range of stakeholders including senior management, consumers and consumer groups, government representatives and policy makers, as well as employees and peers. Further, graduates need to have an appreciation of the potential differences in national cultures and their impact on the business environment. Students interested in pursuing a career in International Business with a Language must be prepared to take on challenges and be able to adapt to a constantly changing and dynamic business environment. To assist this, core transferable skills acquired throughout the degree programme include the ability to learn independently, problem solve, understand management and related information and work productively as part of a team as well as developing competence in a second language.
A degree in International Business with a Language from Queen's offers a firm base securing an excellent graduate position or further academic study. Career options are extremely varied and the employment
opportunities for our International Business with a Language graduates remain strong. The first cohort of graduates from this programme completed their studies in July 2012 and have secured a range of positions in local, national and multinational organisations. Students that have completed this course have developed careers in areas such as corporate finance, consulting, global brand management and risk investment in companies such as Google, Dom Perignon, KPMG, Deloitte, Citi and PwC.
Employment after the Course
Students from this programme have secured either graduate positions or have undertaken placements in advertising, human resources, recruitment, training and development, marketing, export marketing, new product development, market research, brand management, operations management, supply chain management, quality management, business development, accounting, finance, management consultancy.
Graduate employers include: M&S, Local Government including Councils, Health Trusts, College and Universities, Invest Northern Ireland, Bank of Ireland, PwC, Randox, Deloitte, BDO, Bombardier, Google, Microsoft, Unilever, Mercer.
Additional Awards Gained(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Prizes and Awards
This programme attracts prizes and awards from Randox Laboratories and the Foundation Scholarship.
Degree plus award for extra-curricular skills
In addition to your degree programme, at Queen's you can have the opportunity to gain wider life, academic and employability skills. For example, placements, voluntary work, clubs, societies, sports and lots more. So not only do you graduate with a degree recognised from a world leading university, you'll have practical national and international experience plus a wider exposure to life overall. We call this Degree Plus. It's what makes studying at Queen's University Belfast special.