The main objective of this engineering degree is to produce graduates with a broad and balanced set of skills and attributes required for the design and manufacture of innovative technical products. It is a variant of the Mechanical Engineering degree, which after first year, focuses on design process methodology, materials and manufacturing themes.
The integrated curriculum connects content from different modules through team-based and individual projects which act as a core activity each year.
Product Design Engineering Degree highlights
We put emphasis on hands on, project based learning, and invest heavily in our state-of-the-art facilities and flexible project spaces to support this activity.
- The School offers extensive opportunities to gain valuable overseas experience, either during the summer vacation or by taking a year out from the degree programme. We participate in the IAESTE and Erasmus student exchange programmes, which enable students to obtain work experience in companies and universities throughout the world. In recent years students have worked in countries such as Brazil, Finland, USA, France, Iceland, Argentina, Uruguay, Japan, South Africa and Portugal. The Study USA Initiative offers pre-final year students the possibility of working for a year at a college in the USA, providing an excellent opportunity to gain familiarity with international business techniques. Our employability programme supports activities such as this, providing help and advice with preparation of CVs, interview skills and providing a point of contact for the duration of placements.
- BEng and MEng degrees are accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- The School has strong links with both local and international engineering employers, and has longstanding relationships with companies such as Bombardier, Caterpillar, ExxonMobil, Ford, Jaguar Land Rover, Lotus, McLaren F1, Michelin and Rolls Royce. The curriculum is heavily informed by industry representatives who sit on an advisory board within the School.
- Students are offered an optional Engineering Leadership Programme and a range of Employability Development workshops.
- You'll spend up to 12 months getting hands on experience of a real engineering environment with a relevant company. Students have gained work placements with organisations such as Airbus UK, Cummins Turbo Technologies, Lockheed Martin, Mercedes Benz High Performance Engines, Nacco Materials Handling Ltd, and Red Bull Technology Ltd. Students also have the opportunity to work or study outside the UK through programmes such as IAESTE, Erasmus, Study Abroad and Study USA. In recent years, students have undertaken placements in companies in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Finland, France, Japan, Malaysia and the USA.
World Class Facilities
- The School has a wide range of experimental facilities to support aerodynamics, structures, materials and manufacturing teaching. It also operates a flight simulator and runs an annual flight laboratory course.
- BEng students who demonstrate a high level of performance may be invited to transfer to the equivalent MEng degree at the end of Stage 2.
Graduates have been successful in gaining high-quality jobs in the discipline of product design engineering. The majority are working in manufacturing companies or design consultancies in the UK and Ireland. Their broad skill sets and experience have enabled them to fit in equally well in both small, dynamic companies and larger organisations.
Graduates have secured jobs in a variety of sectors including automotive, domestic appliances, design consultancy, electronics, packaging, materials handling, polymers, renewables, aerospace and medical devices.
Companies employing recent graduates include Glen Dimplex, Dyson, Lotus, Survitec, B/E Aerospace, Terex, Leckey Design, Seven Technologies, Whale, Solmatix, Andor, Kingspan Environmental, Nacco, Intel, Accenture.
Whilst the vast majority of graduates are employed in product design or design engineering, some others have developed careers in other sectors such as management and education.
Many of our former graduates have risen to the top of their fields and include many famous figures; for example:
•Michael McKay: Flight Operations Director for ESA Mars and Lunar Missions, European Space Agency
•Michael Ryan: Vice President and General Manager, Bombardier Aerospace, Belfast
•Bob Bell: Technical Director of Mercedes GP.
•Air Commodore David Case: Royal Air Force.
Additional Awards Gained(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Prizes and Awards(QSIS ELEMENT IS EMPTY)
Degree plus award for extra-curricular skills
In addition to your degree programme, at Queen's you can have the opportunity to gain wider life, academic and employability skills. For example, placements, voluntary work, clubs, societies, sports and lots more. So not only do you graduate with a degree recognised from a world leading university, you'll have practical national and international experience plus a wider exposure to life overall. We call this Degree Plus. It's what makes studying at Queen's University Belfast special.