Sport is an increasingly large part of people’s lives, whether it's for health, fitness, participation, excellence or just for enjoyment.
This HND Sports Management and Coaching course gives you the knowledge and skill that you need to start a successful career where sport is delivered and managed in the community.
You'll learn about the evolution of sports development and cover topics such as sports coaching, marketing, sport and society, event management and small business enterprise. You'll get to apply your skills on a work placement and by running events and coaching sessions in the community.
By the end of the course, you'll have skills, knowledge and experience that will help you flourish in the global sports community and business environment.
Location – course delivered in London
This course takes place at Stanmore College in London. While studying at Stanmore College, you can access our student support services and community including study support, the Students’ Union and our library's online resources. Stanmore College is located in northwest London in the Borough of Harrow. It's in a leafy green suburb with excellent transport links, and just 10 minutes walk from Stanmore underground station.
What you'll experienceOn this course, you'll:
- Get an insight into how to use sport to develop community opportunities and enhance people’s lives
- Develop your expertise in delivering high-quality coaching within a community setting
- Learn the skills and knowledge you need to excel in the sports management and development industry
- Develop your business and marketing skills and learn how to use them in the sports industry
- Have opportunities to apply what you learn in the community, for example, by running coaching sessions and events
- Access the latest learning resources, journals and publications
- Be taught by staff who have industry experience
- Get experience of working in the sports industry on a work placement
- Study at Stanmore College in London
Work experience and career planning
In year 2, you'll do a work-based learning module. This allows you to put your knowledge into practice in the workplace and get valuable experience that will enhance your CV and make you more employable.
Our Careers and Employability service can also help you identify further placements, internships and voluntary roles during the course.
What you'll study
Core modules in this year include:
- Physical Activity, Lifestyle and Health
- The Sports Landscape
- Coaching Practice and Skill Development
- Activity Leadership
- Project Management
- Inclusive Sport
- Operations Management and Leadership
- Community Coaching
Core modules in this year include:
- Entrepreneurism in Sport
- Sport, Health and Society
- Coaching Special Populations
- Understanding and Evaluating Initiatives
- Event Management
- Work Experience
- Research Project
There's an emphasis on interactive teaching on this course, giving you the chance to take a leading role in your own learning. Teaching methods include:
- workshops and discussion groups
- practical and coaching sessions
- work-based learning (during your placement in year 2)
How you're assessed
The way you're assessed on this course reflects the requirements of the professional sports industry. You'll be assessed through:
- projects, portfolios and case studies
- practical demonstrations
- oral assessments through presentations or discussion groups
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
The topics you'll study on this course are varied, so you'll have plenty of options open to you when you finish the course.
What can you do with a Sports Management and Coaching HND?
You could start a career in areas such as sports coaching, sports development, teaching, event management. You'll also have transferable business skills you can apply in any type of industry.
Once you pass this course, you'll also have the opportunity to progress onto the final year of the BSc (Hons) Sports Management and Development course.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.