Do you get excited by the idea of designing and managing the buildings that make up the world we live in? Are you ready to boost your career and take your first steps into construction or project management? If so, this part-time Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Construction will help you get there.
On this course at Eastleigh College, you'll get practical experience with emerging technologies (such as 3D printing and computer-aided design). You'll also be taught by staff with extensive industrial experience and get a grounding in the legal responsibilities and health and safety of construction management.
When you complete this Construction HNC, you'll have a deep understanding of the construction process from design to completion. You'll be fully equipped to take your next step into designing and managing of construction projects, or take further qualifications to specialise in a role like surveyor or architect.
What you'll experience
On this Construction Higher National Certificate (HNC) course you'll:
- Top up your NVQ 3 in a construction-related trade, your Level 3 in Construction and the Built Environment, and any prior experience to a full Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Construction
- Work in the design and management of construction projects
- Prepare and create accurate construction drawings
- Build your skills in construction technology, site management, computer-aided design (CAD), building information modelling (BIM) and materials science
- Be taught by staff with extensive industrial experience, many of whom work in the industry
- Develop the knowledge, concepts, techniques and skills to fulfil managerial responsibilities in construction
- Learn to understand best practice, legal responsibilities, and health and safety in the construction industry
- Get an understanding of all aspects of the building industry from design and costing, to contract and construction
- Learn how to consider the environment in your designs
- Study at Eastleigh College close to Southampton
What you'll study on this HNC Construction degree course
On this course for an HNC in Construction, you'll study modules worth 120 credits.
The core modules are:
- Construction Information (Design Detailing)
- Construction Practice and Management
- Legal and Statutory Responsibilities in Construction
- Construction Technology
- Individual Construction Project
- Construction Science and Materials
There are no optional modules on this course.
How you're assessed
On this HNC in Construction you'll be assessed through:
- test-based assignments
Careers and opportunities
This Construction HNC prepares you for further higher education qualifications such as a Bachelor's degree, or a career in the construction industry. There are many changes happening in the construction industry that are creating more opportunities for construction students.
What can you do with an HNC in Construction?
Previous graduates have gone on to work in areas including management of construction projects and construction design.
You can also use your Construction HNC to get entry to higher-level professional construction courses in subjects such as:
- quantity surveying
- construction management
- building surveying
- property management
- architectural design