Want to work in a creative sector such as animation, games, or film?
Whether you’re already in further education or from an industry background looking to develop your skills, this 2-year Creative Media and Technology HND at Eastleigh College could be the perfect course for you.
You'll focus on both the creative and the technical side of digital and creative media, including 3D modelling for games and animation, video editing and post-production, programming, web design, concept art production, group project management, and business development. Plus you'll have opportunities to use modern game engines and other professional-standard software.
Digital entertainment is the third-fastest growing industry in Europe, with an increasing demand for creatives who have technical skills, such as CGI artists, 3D modellers and architectural visualisers. When you complete this course successfully, you can top up your HND to a Bachelor's degree or begin your career in the digital industry.
What you'll experience
On this Creative Media and Technology HND course, you'll:
- Be taught by teaching staff with professional experience and continued links to the digital sector, giving you industry insights and the most up-to-date digital skills
- Learn practical and transferable skills in creative and critical thinking, team working, information management, project management and problem solving
- Benefit from guest speakers sharing their experiences to give you a better understanding of the industry, and allowing you to make valuable contacts through networking
- Take part in field trips that provide a wealth of working experiences including practical and logistical problems that reflect what you'll experience in the industry
- Study at Eastleigh College
You'll have access to professional-standard equipment and resources, including:
- The latest 3D modelling, graphics, animation and post-production software
- Motion capture equipment
- 3D printing facilities
- Industry-standard game engines
- Fully equipped and isolated computer labs where you can test networked and multiplayer games
- Access to the HE common room, where you can relax with a coffee and work together with your peer
Work experience and career planning
We can help you identify work experience opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio. We'll support you in seeking work experience – whether for a summer or for 1 day a week for several weeks
Local media and game studios regularly offer opportunities for both paid and voluntary work. Recent examples of work experience have included working with flight simulator artists and fire brigade training simulators.
What you'll study
Each module on this course is worth a certain number of credits.
In each year, you need to study modules worth a total of 120 credits. For example, 4 modules worth 20 credits and 1 module worth 40 credits.
Core modules in this year include:
- Genre Analysis
- Audiovisual Production for Media
- Foundations of 3D Graphics
- Concept Art
- Team Development Project
- Introduction to Programming
There are no optional modules in this year
Core modules in this year include:
- Business Enterprise
- Rapid Prototyping
- Intermediate Programming
- Asset production
Optional modules in this year include:
- Architectural Visualisation
How you're assessed
You’ll be assessed through:
- exam-based assessments
- written reports
- individual and group presentations or videos
We also provide elements of client-based assessment and exhibition-based assessment.
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark. You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
When you finish this Creative Media and Technology HND course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry. After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.