Want to work in a creative sector such as animation, games, or film?
Whether you’re already in further education or from an industry background looking to develop your skills, this 2-year Creative Media and Technology HND at Eastleigh College could be the perfect course for you.
You'll focus on both the creative and the technical side of digital and creative media, including 3D modelling for games and animation, video editing and post-production, programming, web design, concept art production, group project management, and business development. Plus you'll have opportunities to use modern game engines and other professional-standard software.
Digital entertainment is the third-fastest growing industry in Europe, with an increasing demand for creatives who have technical skills, such as CGI artists, 3D modellers and architectural visualisers. When you complete this course successfully, you can top up your HND to a Bachelor's degree or begin your career in the digital industry.
This course takes place at Eastleigh College in Hampshire. While studying at Eastleigh College, you can access our student support services and community including study support, the Students’ Union and our library's online resources. Eastleigh College is an established training provider with a wealth of experience delivering a range of technical and professional courses for school leavers, located near Eastleigh rail station and Southampton Airport.
What you'll experience
On this Creative Media and Technology HND course, you'll:
- Be taught by teaching staff with professional experience and continued links to the digital sector, giving you industry insights and the most up-to-date digital skills
- Learn practical and transferable skills in creative and critical thinking, team working, information management, project management and problem solving
- Benefit from guest speakers sharing their experiences to give you a better understanding of the industry, and allowing you to make valuable contacts through networking
- Take part in field trips that provide a wealth of working experiences including practical and logistical problems that reflect what you'll experience in the industry
- Study at Eastleigh College
You'll have access to professional-standard equipment and resources, including:
- The latest 3D modelling, graphics, animation and post-production software
- Motion capture equipment
- 3D printing facilities
- Industry-standard game engines
- Fully equipped and isolated computer labs where you can test networked and multiplayer games
- Access to the HE common room, where you can relax with a coffee and work together with your peers
Work experience and career planning
We can help you identify work experience opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio. We'll support you in seeking work experience – whether for a summer or for 1 day a week for several weeks.
Local media and game studios regularly offer opportunities for both paid and voluntary work. Recent examples of work experience have included working with flight simulator artists and fire brigade training simulators.
Each module on this course is worth a certain number of credits.
In each year, you need to study modules worth a total of 120 credits. For example, four modules worth 20 credits and one module worth 40 credits.
We use the best and most current research and professional practice alongside feedback from our students to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry and some optional modules may not run every year. If a module doesn’t run, we’ll let you know as soon as possible and help you choose an alternative module.
Teaching on this course includes:
- practical demonstrations
- visits from guest speakers
Our teaching staff include people with the following experience:
- 3D modelling for Verant Interactive on titles such as Everquest and Everquest 2
- Over 10 years' experience teaching foundation degree 3D modelling
- Freelance animation and website design
- Freelance professional art
- Professional photography and filmmaking
- Programming and big data contract work with Lloyds Bank PLC
You’ll be assessed through:
- exam-based assessments
- written reports
- individual and group presentations or videos
We also provide elements of client-based assessment and exhibition-based assessment.
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark. You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
When you finish this Creative Media and Technology HND course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry. After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
With a creative media HND, you could go onto work in areas such as:
- game design
- web design
- architectural visualisation
- production for film or TV
You could also continue your studies or set up a business with help and support from the University.
You'll have the opportunity to take an additional year to gain your Bachelor’s degree, which will further increase your employment prospects, and could lead to opportunities for further study at MSc or PhD level.
Job roles you could take on in your career include:
- 3D modeller
- web designer
- video editor
- CGI artist
- games programmer
- architectural visualiser