One year full-time, two years part-time
Knowledge and understanding
You will gain knowledge and understanding of:
- definitions and epidemiology of intellectual disability
- cognitive, communicative and social characteristics of people with intellectual disabilities
- biological, social and environmental causes of intellectual disability
- behaviour analysis
- challenging behaviour and other special needs
- ideology, policy and service development
- definition and measurement of service quality
- relationships between service organisation and quality
- research methodology.
You develop intellectual skills in:
- the ability to present critical, balanced arguments
- the ability to appraise and interpret evidence from academic literature and personal/work experience
- the ability to generate and interpret evidence through research (PDip, MA only).
You gain subject-specific skills in:
- how to conduct applied research on a topic relevant to intellectual and developmental disability. (PDip, MA only)
You will gain the following transferable skills:
- the ability to organise information clearly, respond to written sources, present information orally.
- the ability to make sense of statistical materials, integrate numerical and non-numerical information (MA only);
- the ability to make sense of statistical materials, quantitative and qualitative information (PDip only);
- if you are doing the statistical element of research methods module, you will make sense of statistical materials, integrate quantitative and qualitative information. You will also become familiar with ways of summarising and presenting data (PCert only)
- information technology: the ability to produce written documents and undertake online research
- working with others: work co-operatively on group tasks and understand how groups function
- improve your own learning: the ability to explore your strengths and weaknesses, time management skills and review your working environment
- problem-solving: the ability to identify and define complex problems, explore alternative solutions and discriminate between them.
This programme aims to:
- provide you with detailed knowledge of intellectual and developmental disabilities and ability to interpret research in this field
- provide you with detailed knowledge of intellectual and developmental disabilities and knowledge of how to conduct and interpret research in this field (MA, PDip only).