Digital technology is having a dramatic impact on the business world. Companies can use real-time data to inform strategy and improve products and processes, while technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning and blockchain are creating 'intelligent enterprises'.
On this MSc Digital Business Management Master's degree course, you'll learn how to use SAP applications and advances in digital technology to develop and implement digital change in business.
You'll learn about the frameworks, models, strategies and systems you can use to make effective, real-time decisions across a company's internal and external operating environments. You'll explore leading enterprise software, including SAP applications.
When you complete the course, you'll have the skills and practical experience you need to lead and manage the digital transformation of businesses in any industry.
What you’ll experience
On this Digital Business Management Master's degree course, you'll:
- Learn how to initiate and lead digital change, and make a difference to businesses engaged in digital transformation planning
- Study topics such as digital strategy and leadership, digital technology and innovation, customer experience management, digital transformation, digital business applications, business analytics and digital business consulting
- Get a full introduction to concepts you haven't covered in previous study or employment
- Develop skills using industry-leading SAP applications, which you can also apply to similar software such as Oracle and Infor in your career
- Sharpen your critical, creative, analytical decision-making and reporting skills
- Learn a combination of management theory and extensive practical software skills
- Complete a digital business consulting project, where you'll work with a company in the UK or overseas to develop and implement a digital transformation plan
- Build expertise in the enterprise systems tools and techniques relevant to digital business management, such as design thinking, sentiment analysis, enterprise systems application and predictive analytics
- Study additional SAP and business enterprise certifications alongside your degree
- Learn from staff, academics and visiting speakers who are engaged in the latest research and have consultancy experience and links to industry
- Use our SAP Next-Gen Innovation Lab, where you'll see how businesses can use technologies and concepts such as the Internet of Things, machine learning, blockchain, analytics and 'big data' to transform their products and processes
- Get access to our library’s electronic resources 24/7, including thousands of ebooks, ejournals and newspapers, and databases
- Free access to Espresso Tutorials, with learning resources on a wide range of SAP applications
- Study full-time over 1 year or part-time over 2 years, at a university that has taught practical skills in this area since 2008
Work experience and career planning
Personal development planning
During the course, we'll support you in creating a Personal Development Plan. This allows you to combine the skills you gain during your Master's studies with professional certification opportunities, for example, through learning portals such as openSAP and the SAP Learning Hub Professional Edition.
The Digital Business Consulting Project module gives you practical experience applying what you've learnt in the industry. You'll work with a business to develop a digital transformation plan.
We'll give you all the support you need to identify and partner with a company that matches your career aspirations.
Our membership of UKISUG links you to special interest groups, and gives you access to hundreds of companies that are looking for graduates and professionals with the skills and experience you'll gain on this course.
Core modules are:
- Digital Strategy and Leadership
- Customer Experience Management
- Digital Technology and Innovation
- Digital Transformation
- Digital Business Applications
- Business Analytics
- The Digital Business Consulting Project
There are no optional modules. Your consulting project allows you to study areas that match your interests and career aspirations.
Additional courses and certifications
We're a member of UKISUG (an independent SAP user group). This means you can also learn more about specific SAP applications by taking additional modules and courses, which are available at significantly discounted rates through the SAP Learning Hub Professional Edition portal.
Many of these are hosted on campus at our SAP Next-Gen Innovation Lab. They allow you to get industry-recognised certifications in areas such as:
- enterprise systems
- database modelling
- human resources
- business finance and budgeting
- the Internet of Things
- application development
We use the best and most current research and professional practice alongside feedback from our students to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry.
Teaching methods on this course include:
- interactive seminars
- tutorials (one-to-one and in groups)
- practical laboratory sessions in our SAP Next-Gen Innovation Lab
- company visits
- online short courses and certification exams
Much of your teaching takes place in the TEAL (technology-enhanced active learning) Studio. TEAL is a teaching format that merges lectures, simulations and hands-on desktop experiments to create a rich collaborative learning experience. This collaborative learning experience is further enhanced with design thinking and consulting workshops.
You'll also have access to Moodle, our virtual learning environment. This includes:
- lecture media and seminar materials
- case studies (for both seminars and lab practical sessions)
- course notices
How you're assessed
You’ll be assessed through:
- group research posters and 'poster defence' events
- written and video reports
- screencasts (incorporating a report and a practical exercise)
- your consulting project
You'll submit most of your coursework using our virtual learning environment, Moodle.
You can test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark. You'll get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
There's significant demand for professionals with the technical skill to deliver digital transformation for businesses and create new businesses using digital technology. This makes it a perfect time to study this field.
What can I do with a Master's degree in Digital Business Management?
When you graduate, you'll have the skills and experience to manage a digital business, lead digital transformation and innovation projects, and create new business opportunities using digital technology.
What can you do with a Digital Business Management degree?
Areas you could work in include:
- enterprise systems
- app development
- business analytics
- general management
- internet sales and brokerage
- digital transformation
- digital marketing
What jobs can you do with a Digital Business Management degree?
Job roles you could go onto include:
- product manager
- client relationships/key accounts manager
- digital business practitioner
- digital transformation specialist
- enterprise system specialist
- digital platform specialist
You could also continue your studies at PhD level in disciplines such as intelligent enterprise.