World-class University, world-famous city
Newcastle University is a world-class university with an international reputation for academic excellence. We are a founding member of the Russell Group of 24 leading research institutions in the UK and have a proud tradition going back to 1834.
Our reputation and popularity are built on the high-quality teaching and learning experience we offer. Become part of a university that influences the world through our research and our graduates, but don’t just take our word for it:
- ranked 20th out of 123 in the UK in The Sunday Times 2015 University Guide
- In the UK's Top 10 for employability of its graduates Guardian University Guide 2015
- In the UK’s Top 8 for medical research power
- In the UK's Top 2 for science and engineering research power
- Commended by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) for our management of academic standards and quality of learning, with a 'judgement of confidence' – the highest rating available
Add to this our enviable city-centre campus location in the heart of Newcastle, superb national and international travel links and low cost of living, and you’ve found the ideal place to be a student.
Our Postgraduate Community
At Newcastle our aim is simple: to inspire our students through teaching and research, and create an exciting yet supportive environment in which to study.
We have 24 academic schools, 11 research institutes and 29 research centres and, with over 340 postgraduate programmes on offer, your student experience is our highest priority. We currently have over 6,000 postgraduate students from more than 110 countries creating a vibrant and valued part of our academic community.
As one of our postgraduate students you will benefit from studying within a dynamic research environment with state-of-the-art equipment and facilities. The University has an outstanding reputation in research across a wide range of disciplines and this was demonstrated by the publication of the most recent Research Assessment Exercise (RAE-2008), which identified research that is 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent' in all of our submitted subject areas.
Through links with business, government departments and industry, we are helping to influence future policy and ensure the research work we do has a positive impact on wider society. We term this ‘Excellence with a Purpose’, and we are looking for the best and brightest students from across the world to help us in this endeavour.
World-class teaching and research
We offer over 340 full- and part-time courses across our three faculties:
- Arts and Humanities
- Science, Agriculture and Engineering
- Medical Sciences
Our postgraduate website gives you all the information you need to choose the best programme of study for you.
Our postgraduates benefit from excellent study facilities, giving you access to skills and experiences that will be of value throughout your university careers and beyond.
- Our University library is the only one in the UK to have been awarded five Charter Marks, and also holds two new Customer Services Excellence awards
- Our award-winning Language Resource Centre provides language learning materials for over 50 languages, including English for international students
- INTO Newcastle University provides academic and English language preparation for students and has helped hundreds of students to progress to university and improve their English
- Newcastle University Students' Union, based in a Grade II listed building in the heart of campus, houses outstanding facilities thanks to an £11 million refurbishment, including 24-hour computer clusters and social learning areas, a brand new Student Advice Centre and a dedicated sports, societies and volunteering area
- Sporting excellence - we have a well-deserved reputation for sporting excellence, having finished in the top 16 out of 146 universities in the British Universities and Colleges Sports (BUCS) table for the past six years
- Careers - we are a top UK university for graduate employment, inspiring our students with award-winning careers advice, business start-up support and industry-relevant degree programmes
A global city with a local welcome
World-class culture, international connections, legendary nightlife and local Geordie charm come together to make Newcastle a vibrant city that is easy to reach but hard to leave.
The city of Newcastle, ranked as best university city in Britain by MSN Travel website (2008-11), is remarkable for its mix of old and new. The Norman castle, medieval cathedral and impressive nineteenth-century buildings are reminders of the city's rich history, whilst a collection of modern, innovative landmarks have come to represent the city’s ongoing energetic rejuvenation.
One of the most striking of these is Antony Gormley's 20-metre high 'Angel of the North' welcoming visitors to the North East of England. The famous Tyne Bridge and award-winning Gateshead Millennium Bridge cross the river Tyne, connecting the city of Newcastle to the newly developed Gateshead Quays, which boasts the BALTIC art gallery and the magnificent Sage Gateshead music centre.
Browse our online films and tours
For those of you who can’t visit in person, make the most of our online videos and tours to experience Newcastle from home.
Postgraduate online provides all you need to know to help you choose the right programme for you, including fees and funding, entrance requirements and full programme descriptions.
Postgraduate open day
For those closer to Newcastle we run an annual Postgraduate Open Day.
Telephone: 0191 208 3333 (+44 191 208 3333)
Join us on social media.