The course is ideal if you work or want to work at operational, managerial or strategic levels in public health. It improves the knowledge, skills, and practice of primary healthcare team members, community health workers and health activists.
Public health is relevant to all sections of society and is a key feature of health and social policy.
You address key questions including
* how is the health of individuals, groups and populations determined?
* how can health be promoted?
* what skills are required for health promotion and the development of the public health agenda?
* what are the implications of the new agendas?
The course builds on the growing importance of health promotion, public health, and health and community development on national and international levels.
Successful management of public health requires development of critical approaches to theory, practice, and outcome measurement. We give you the knowledge and skills to be more effective in your role.
You develop knowledge in the 10 key public health competenciesand standards. These include
* strategic leadership for health
* working with and for communities
* developing health programmes and services, and reducing inequalities
* collaborative working for health
* surveillance and assessment of the population's health and wellbeing
These competencies are needed to join the UK Voluntary Register for Public Health specialists, and to work at a senior level in public health.
Please contact us for a brochure if you would like further details.
Visit the public health hubhttp://research.shu.ac.uk/publichealthhub/index.html to find out more about our services and our work with students.
We work closely with local health organisations to provide work experience for students who are new to this area of work.
To learn more about our Faculty of Development and Society, our courses, facilities and how we can support your study click here.
PG Dip, Postgraduate Certificate, MA, PG Dip, Postgraduate Certificate, MA Award