The University of Derby Online Learning is the thriving distance learning division of the University of Derby.
University of Derby Online Learning is now one of the UK’s leading universities for online distance learning and has been awarded a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in 2017, as well as being recognised as a Top 30 University in the Guardian University Guide.
Our aim is to inspire people to achieve more in their professional and personal lives and realise their academic ambitions by offering a more flexible study option through online learning.
We are dedicated to providing online learning Undergraduate, Postgraduate degree courses and Continuing Professional Development opportunities to people around the world. Our courses are studied entirely online, and study materials are available at any time via computer or mobile devices.
Online learning is a highly flexible way to further your skills and qualifications. With a busy life to juggle, home, work, friends and of course ‘you time’, it can be difficult fitting in a weekly visit to a local university. Studying online allows you to manage your studies around your commitments.
A wide choice of flexible, online courses to suit your busy lifestyle
You can choose from our wide range of career-focused courses. Subject areas include:
- Accounting and Finance
- Business and Management
- Computing and IT
- Counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Studies
- Environmental Sciences
- Hospitality Management
- Health and Social care
You can choose to start in January, September or May. For our list of start dates and application deadlines please visit our website here.
Industry-led, accredited courses
The University of Derby Online Learning holds the UK’s most accredited online education portfolio. Our close relationship with industry-specific professional bodies and employers means we are delighted to offer courses that are developed specifically to support your professional progress.
Our courses are accredited by several professional bodies including:
- The Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
- The Royal College of Nursing (RCN)
- The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) and the Institute of Hospitality
To find the accredited course you are looking for please visit our website.
Opportunities to experience online study before you start your degree
Want to learn more about studying online, the university or your chosen course? We know choosing your university degree can be difficult decision. That’s why we offer a wide selection of online taster experiences; including course tasters, webinars, open days and free MOOC short courses, for you get involved before you commit to applying for your university qualification.
Our professional development courses and webinars aim to allow you to enrich your professional and personal life and experience how online learning works at Derby first hand. Our upcoming professional development opportunities include:
100% free, online introductory sessions led by our expert academics, including:
- Discovering Online Learning Webinar
- Developing your career as a Computing & IT Professional Webinar
- An Introduction to Health and Social Care Webinar
- An Introduction to Ergonomics Webinar
- An Introduction to Engineering Webinar
- An Introduction to MSc Sustainability and Environmental Management Webinar
- Developing Your Career in Counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Webinar
- Boost your career prospects with a Business and Management degree Webinar
100% free, online courses you can complete anywhere at any time to suit you, including :
- Depression: A Compassionate View
- Bridging the Dementia Divide
- Understanding Autism, Asperger’s & ADHD
CPD accredited short courses designed to help you build competence, confidence and credibility in your chosen field, including:
- BIM: An Introduction to Project Collaboration
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- An Introduction to Emotional Resilience
- Autism Spectrum: Directions for Parents and Carers
- Radiographic Image Analysis of the Appendicular Skeleton
- Training and Development in the Hospitality Industry
- Diabetes Type 2: Supporting Self-Management
- Adult Education: How to Teach Online
- Understanding Maths Anxiety
- Autism Spectrum: Directions for Educational Professionals
An expert academic team who are here to help you succeed
At University of Derby Online Learning we are dedicated to ensuring you will receive the support you need while studying with us. When you study at online qualification with us you will be assigned a dedicated learning support officer as well as continued online support from our academic team who are experts in their field.
Our team are on hand to provide advice on a range of subjects including; careers and employability advice, technical support, help with online resources and academic advice. During your course you will be able to reach university staff via live chat on our website (link), by email, phone or in person to ensure you are supported throughout every stage of your time studying with us.
How online learning works at the University of Derby
Online learning allows you to develop a whole new international network of like-minded people in similar roles, enabling you to exchange ideas, share best practice and of course make friends with people from all across the world.
We offer a variety of online learning tools, so you can study in a way that suits you. Once you become an online learner at the University of Derby you will have access to a modern online learning environment which will connect you to a wealth of digital and virtual recourses and allow you to network with both expert academics and your fellow students from around the globe.
Our team of expert academics, online tutors and online learner advisors will be on hand to support and guide you throughout your studies.
Key benefits of online learning at Derby include:
- Structured online learning environment with assessment deadlines based around trimesters
- Flexibility to plan your study periods around individual commitments
- Access to engaging learning materials online at any time via a computer or mobile devices
- Expert academic advice and tuition from experienced online tutors with additional pastoral support from a dedicated online learner advisor
- Affordable fees and flexible payment plans
- Join a global community of like-minded professionals in your field
- Share sector experience and knowledge with fellow students
- Choice of three intakes – September, January and May (link added)