Standard entry requirement
The standard entry requirement is:
- SQA Highers: AAAA - AAAB by end of S5. If you haven?t achieved this by the end of S5 we may consider your application based on a strong performance in S6. A minimum of BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S6.
- A Levels: AAA - ABB in one set of exams.
- IB: 37 points with 666 at HL - 32 points with 655 at HL.
Minimum entry requirement
The minimum entry requirement for widening access applicants is:
- SQA Highers: AABB by end of S6, with a minimum of BBB achieved in one year of S4-S6.
- A Levels: ABB.
- IB: 32 points with 655 at HL.
More information for widening access applicants
The grades used to meet our entry requirements must include:
- SQA: Higher: Mathematics at grade A. We strongly recommend that you study Advanced Higher Mathematics.
- A Levels: Mathematics at grade A.
- IB: HL: Mathematics (from 2021, Mathematics: Analysis and approaches only) at grade 6.
Find out more about entry requirements
We welcome applications from students studying a wide range of international qualifications.
Entry requirements by country
We welcome applications from mature students and accept a range of qualifications.
Mature applicant qualifications
English Language Requirements
You must demonstrate a level of English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence.
SQA, GCSE and IB
For SQA, GCSE and IB students, unless a higher level is specified in the stated entry requirements, a pass is required in English at the following grades or higher:
SQA National 5 Grade C
SQA Standard Grade 3
SQA Intermediate 1 Grade A
SQA Intermediate 2 Grade C
GCSE Grade Cor 4
Level 2 Certificate Grade C
IB Standard Level Grade 5 (English ab initio is not accepted for entry)
English language tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
IELTS Academic module overall 6.5 with 5.5 in each component
TOEFL-iBT 92 or above with 20 in each section
Cambridge English: Advanced or Proficiency overall 176 with 162 in each component
PTE Academic: Total 61 with at least 51 in each "Communicative Skills" section
Trinity ISE: ISE II with a distinction in all four components
We also accept a wider range of international qualifications and tests.
English language qualifications must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
English language requirements
(Revised 05/06/2019 to provide more accurate/comprehensive information.)