Do you have an HND or Foundation degree in music technology, music production or similar? Would you like to top it up to a full Bachelor's degree?
On this creative music technology top-up degree, you'll develop your creative and technical skills to degree level using new music technologies. You’ll get experience with sound software and hardware used by industry professionals, and get the chance to achieve additional certifications in the use of leading music technologies.
At the end of the course, you’ll be ready to begin your career in various areas of music technology areas such as games and animation, music recording and production, and television and film.
What you'll experience
On this creative music technology top-up degree course you'll:
- Turn your Higher National Diploma (HND), Foundation degree or equivalent qualification into a full Bachelor's degree
- Develop your personal creative practice with emerging sound technologies
- Choose optional modules that allow you to match what you study to your interests and career goals
- Be able to apply for an optional Avid Protools accredited training certificate in Pro Tools Software
- Get the chance to apply for Audiokinetic Wwise certification (we are one of only 2 universities in the UK to offer this)
- Be taught by staff members with industry experience in composition, sound design and music production
- Recording studios to engineer and produce music and sound design for games, film and TV
- Sensors and alternative controllers to create sound installations or perform live
- Hardware and software synths and plugins to create electronic music
- Digital audio workstations to create and mix music
You’ll get your hands on some exciting gear in our studio suite, including:
- A valve 32 channel TL audio mixing desk
- An SSL Matrix 2 console with 10 Neve 1074 preamps and 16 channels of Neve and SSL dynamics and EQ
- A 7.1 surround studio (Genelec) including a Slate Raven multi-touch console for multichannel work and spatial audio projects
- A Buchla System 7 synthesizer (1 of only 2 in a European university and the only one in the UK)
- 4 Oakley Modular synthesizers
- iMac Dual i7 computers running Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Max/MSP (including Max for Live), Native Instruments (including Reaktor), Pure Data and Game engine software
Careers and opportunities
Music technology is a continually developing field that's key to the creative industries, so there will be lots of opportunities open to you after the course.
What can you do with a creative music technology degree?
Previous music technology graduates have gone on to work in areas such as:
- studio recording
- music production
- sound design for television and film, animation and computer games
- digital media
What jobs can you do with a creative music technology degree?
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- audio developer
- music technology lecturer
- musical technician
- studio manager
- studio engineer
- music teacher
- game audio professional (composition and sound design)
- sound designer for visual media
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry. You can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years after you leave the University as you advance in your career.