Dental nurses support dentists in all aspects of patient treatment and care. On this 1-year CertHE Dental Nursing course, you’ll get the knowledge and practical skills required to achieve safe beginner status, become a vital member of the dental team and register with the General Dental Council (GDC).
By completing this course, you’ll be set to take on careers across the dental industry. You could work at a general dental practice, a hospital, with the community dental service or in the armed forces or continue your studies at diploma or degree level.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Qualify with a CertHE in Dental Nursing, which allows you to register with the GDC as a dental nurse.
- Build your team-working skills by studying alongside dental hygiene, dental therapy and undergraduate King’s College London Dental Institute students
- Use some of the best dental facilities for students in the country, with treatment bays and simulation technology that includes our Phantom Head skill lab, a full radiography suite and an electronic patient records system
- Develop knowledge in a range of dental restorative and preventative procedures as well as the professional skills and behaviours that you need as a dental nurse
- Complete a programme of statutory and mandatory training as part of our commitment to the NHS, including the anatomy and physiology of the head and neck, body systems, and understanding health, safety and infection control
Teaching methods on this course include:
- practical laboratory work
- guided reading
How you're assessed
You’ll be assessed through examinations and coursework, and your clinical development and competency is assessed via an electronic software platform (LIFTUP).
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
What can you do with a Dental Nursing CertHE?
As a registered dental nurse, you’ll be qualified to take on roles in any sector of the dental industry, including:
- general dental practice (NHS or private)
- corporate dental practice
- hospital dental services
- armed forces
- specialists dental practice
- health promotion
What jobs can you do with a Dental Nursing CertHE?
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- dental nurse
- practice manager
- practice owner
Work experience and career planning
This course focuses on applying your knowledge in real clinical environments, and building the practical skills needed to succeed in your career after the course.
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course if you're eligible to work in the UK.
We can help you identify placements, internships and voluntary roles that will complement your studies during your course and for up to 5 years after your graduate.