From viral videos and personalised web content to social media influencers promoting their favourite products, you've seen and shared the work of digital marketers.
This BA (Hons) Digital Marketing degree will help you take the next step to join their ranks. You'll learn how to use data to get a deep understanding of consumers and harness your creative skills to produce engaging marketing content using digital technology.
Year 1 gives you a grounding in core marketing principles and consumer behaviour. In year 2, you'll learn about specialised topics such as social media marketing, market research and data visualisation with the chance to choose optional modules that match your interests.
In year 3, you'll learn how to produce a digital marketing strategy and complete further optional modules, from a choice including advertising, social marketing, branding and technology trends.
For your final project submission, you can do a dissertation, research project or work with a business on a live marketing campaign.
When you graduate, you'll be ready to work in digital marketing, web and media services in any industry. Your ability to use data to make effective business decisions will also make you a valuable team member in non-marketing roles.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Cover all aspects of digital marketing, including web analytics, influencer marketing, affiliate marketing, search engine optimisation (SEO), pay-per-click (PPC), display advertising, email marketing and content marketing
- Get specialist knowledge of digital media and how to use it to influence, persuade and connect customers and brands across web, social media, and other digital platforms
- Learn to gather and use data to create content and campaigns that have maximum impact
- Get to grips with the latest digital marketing and media software such as Hubspot, Google Analytics and the Adobe Creative Suite in our computer labs
- Develop the skills to produce visual and text content that engages customers and encourages them to take action
- Learn from marketeers and digital media professionals who have a proven track record of success across many sectors – past guest lecturers include marketing professionals from O2, TK Maxx and Gartner
- Keep up-to-date with the latest digital marketing trends and techniques by studying modules shaped by research happening now at the University
You can also:
- Get additional certifications in tools, software and specific skills such as Hubspot's specialised certifications in email marketing and SEO and Google Analytics and Google Ads certifications, achieving recognised industry professional qualifications alongside your degree
- Work with organisations on live campaigns, applying your skills and getting valuable experience that will you make you stand out when you begin your career
- Further apply your knowledge in the workplace on a year-long work placement, boosting your employability prospects after the course
- Study abroad through our links with overseas universities, immersing yourself in a different culture
- Learn a language while you earn credit towards your degree as part of the University's IWLP
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you finish your course, our Careers and Employability service can help you get relevant digital marketing work experience during your course.
We'll help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.
Entrepreneurs in Residence
If you're interested in setting up your own business while you study, you can get support on this course from the Entrepreneurs in Residence programme. Our Entrepreneurs in Residence are experienced business professionals who work with us to deliver group workshops and 1-to-1 drop-in clinics to help you plan and market your business idea.
How you're assessed
You’ll be assessed through:
- Group work
- Live client work
- Multiple-choice tests
- Portfolio work
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
The way you’re assessed may depend on the modules you select. As a guide, students on this course last year were typically assessed as follows:
- Year 1 students: 35% by written exams, 3% by practical exams and 62% by coursework
- Year 2 students: 6% by written exams, 10% by practical exams and 84% by coursework
- Year 3 students: 17% by written exams, 4% by practical exams and 79% by coursework
Teaching methods on this course include:
- ICT sessions
You can access all teaching resources on Moodle, our virtual learning environment, from anywhere with a Web connection.
For more about the teaching activities for specific modules, see the module list above.
Careers and opportunities
Digital marketing is one of the UK's biggest growth industries and many businesses are moving more operations online following the Coronavirus pandemic. This means there are many opportunities for qualified digital marketers, working in-house, in marketing agencies and on a freelance basis for organisations of all sizes.
A digital marketing degree also provides you with the knowledge and skills to understand consumers and make business decisions based on data and market information – a valuable skill in almost any organisation or industry.
Previous graduates on this course have pursued careers in areas such as:
- Marketing communications
- Digital marketing
- Web and social media
- Search engine optimisation (SEO)
- Pay-per-click advertising (PPC)
- Campaign planning
- Data visualisation
Roles they've taken on include:
- Social media executive
- Marketing campaigns officer
- Business development manager
- Account manager
- Press officer
- Online marketing executive
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry. You can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.