If you've got the ambition to be a scientist, but don't have the grades or qualifications you need for a Bachelor's science degree, then this BSc (Hons) Science with Foundation Year course is the best place to start.
In your science foundation year, you'll study a variety of scientific disciplines, and get the skills and knowledge you need to take on a full science degree in year 2.
You'll learn about biology, chemistry, earth sciences, psychology, sport and exercise and health sciences so you can decide what science degree you want to pursue after your foundation year in science.
You'll get your hands on world-class scientific equipment, and conduct studies and research in our laboratory facilities.
If you want to be a professional scientist, this degree with science foundation year could be your launchpad. Whether you dream of researching the next advance in medicine, see yourself helping elite athletes reach their peak, or want to work towards tackling some of our planet's greatest challenges, start your science journey on this course.
What you'll experience
On this Science with Foundation Year degree course you'll:
- Do a foundation year, covering biology, chemistry, earth sciences, psychology, sport and exercise and health sciences
- Have the flexibility to choose what science-related degree you want to study from year 2 onwards
- Get knowledge of many different scientific principles and practices and build the relevant skills and understanding to use them
- Study alongside students from other scientific interests and backgrounds
- Brush up on your study skills and learn how to meet the demands of taking on a degree at University
- Get valuable transferable skills in numeracy, IT, communication, research, teamwork, and planning
- Learn from staff and lecturers with industry and research knowledge
- Have the opportunity to learn from visiting guest lecturers and experts
Teaching methods on this science foundation course include:
- laboratory classes
You'll be taught by experts that have both industry and research experience across many scientific disciplines.
You can access all teaching resources on Moodle, our virtual learning environment, from anywhere with a Web connection.
For more about the teaching activities for specific modules, see the module list above.
How you're assessed
You’ll be assessed through:
- laboratory work
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
There's never been a better time to become a scientist. Science and technology are key areas of the UK economy and likely to be even more important in the future as low-skilled jobs decline. There's a shortage of science graduates across various fields, and many sectors are struggling to recruit professionals.
Whatever area of science you're interested in, your science foundation year will prepare you to take on a degree and career in the discipline of your choice. You could also go onto further study after you complete your degree.
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies