Tourism is currently the number one industry in the global economy. This MA, locatedin the stunning Greenwich World Heritage Site, has been developed to meet thegrowing demand for competent and resourceful managers in the rapidly expandingtourism industry.
Organisations that develop tourism facilities, as well as those that provide essentialservices such as transport and holidays, are set to expand in the future. There is anincreasing demand for professionals with a strategic perspective of tourism, who canhelp develop a competitive tourism sector that is sustainable.
While individuals entering this area require a sound grounding in general businessprinciples, there are also specific tourism areas that require a more dedicated set ofskills and knowledge. This programme provides a sound foundation in business andmanagement principles and the development of specific specialist tourism skills andknowledge that are essential for a successful career in tourism management today. Theprogramme includes an optional placement with a tourism business or a tourismorganisation, to provide students with an opportunity to gain professional experience invarious aspects of tourism management, which is increasingly becoming a keyrequirement in the tourism employment market. The MA staff team consists of highlyqualified academics, researchers and practitioners in the tourism field.
This programme is delivered with two entry points either in September or January.
We are proud to say our Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation and Tourism programmes wereranked 2nd in London by the Complete University Guide 2016.
The aims of the programme are:
- To understand the broad political, economic and social frameworks within whichinternational tourism management takes place
- To evaluate the tools and techniques that are used for developing and managingvisitors and tourism in a range of destinations
- To develop business skills to set up and manage tourism businesses
- To provide analytical and practical skills in tourism marketing
- To discuss the role of tourism as an agent for cultural change and understanding
- To develop a strategic perspective and management skills for the tourism industry.
Our programmes give you a full understanding of the tourism industry, from the social, cultural and economic environments you could work in, to more general business principles.
- Download transcript
- More videos