This programme provides an opportunity to specialise in the field of electrical power. It builds on a first degree in electrical/electronic engineering and explores how modern power systems from drives to power distribution are designed and implemented. This programme develops technical skills and knowledge at an advanced level, as well as developing the professional, analytical and management skills of students. This programme includes a major research project. Many of the projects reflect the key interests of the Faculty, such as power electronics, renewable and alternative energy systems. There is the opportunity for projects to be derived from our industrial links, and a number are proposed by students, reflecting their own personal interests or experience.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide an enhanced base of knowledge and current and reflective practice necessary to initiate a career in electrical engineering at the professional level
- To enhance specialist knowledge in the area of electrical engineering which build upon studies at the undergraduate level
- To further develop improved skills of independent learning and critical appraisal
- To develop an extensive insight into industrial applications and requirements
- To develop an extensive insight of management issues relating to engineering business
- To develop a comprehensive knowledge of leading-edge ICT tools and techniques in electrical engineering
- To provide the ability to progress to the next level of study.