This Master's degree is designed for students who wish to practice across abroad range environmental engineering and apply new sustainable risk managementstrategies for complex environmental problems. Water, Waste and Environmental Engineering has beentraditionally referred to as public health engineering in the United Kingdom.In this postgraduate course, the technical aspects of both natural andengineering environmental systems will be covered. There will be broadinterdisciplinary subjects synthesizing knowledge from a wide spectrum ofscience and engineering, expanding the content of public health engineering,which in the UK has traditionally been responsible for developing theinfrastructure for managing water and waste.
Studentswill develop engineering skills and be able to design, develop and applyconcepts for water and waste as a resource based on environmental sensitivityand be competent in planning, modelling, design, construction, operations,maintenance and control of both engineered and natural water and earthresources.
Students who select this postgraduateprogramme will gain a skill set that will enable them to progress in the fieldsof:
- Environmental engineering
- Desalination and water reuse
- Water resources engineering
- Hydraulics and hydrology
- Environmental fluid hydraulics
- Environmental remediation
- Waste management
- Other specialities valued inboth the private and public sectors.
The MSc in Water, Waste and Environmental Engineering will incorporatesolid waste management, contaminated land treatment and the use of geographicinformation systems (GIS) with emphasis on management of the earth's resources.
The programme will explain the relationship between different earth resourcesincluding hydrosystems, both 'engineered' - hydro-power plants, water/wastewatertreatment plants, sewers - and 'natural' - rivers, lakes, wetlands, irrigationdistricts, reservoirs etc., solid wastes, brownfield land, and geo-derivedprimary resources and their sustainable management.
The aims of the programme are:
- To show you how to design, implement and manage sustainable, risk-reduced eco-friendly solutions for reducing the environmental impact of exploitation of earth's resources in the context of environmental engineering-related issues facing global societies
- To provide you with the skills to further your careers in these areas
- To support you in understanding the innovative and pioneering approaches in this field and to be able to apply them to the solution of real-world problems in developing novel industrially-relevant solutions.