This online programme is designed to guide you in the construction of knowledge of the central features within the discipline of psychology, which will enable you to put principles into effect in a variety of settings including research, practice and the interface of applied research. The experience and skills developed will also be appreciated by employers in a wide range of professions outside of the field of psychology.
To achieve a full master’s degree, you will be required to complete 180 credits. This programme is also available as a postgraduate certificate (PG Cert) which amounts to 60 credits and a postgraduate diploma (PG Dip) which amounts to 120 credits. Students who complete the PG Cert and PG Dip will have the opportunity to progress to the full master’s degree.
Students that successfully complete the Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) can progress onto the Mental Health Psychology (PG Dip and MSc) or Organisational Business Psychology (PG Dip and MSc) programmes. Find out more about our psychology programmes by contacting our admissions team.
An application has been submitted to the British Psychological Society (BPS) for accreditation of the MSc Psychology for those students who are seeking to pursue chartered psychologist status.
Is this the right course for you?
This programme alone will not allow you to practice as a psychologist in the United Kingdom. However, for individuals who want to pursue a career in psychology, it will provide you with the core foundational knowledge into the discipline and it’s a first step towards a career in the field. The experience and skills you gain will also be appreciated by employers in a wide range of professions outside of the field of psychology.
Through this programme, you will:
- Impress with a prestigious qualification. One of the only online Psychology MSc programmes offered by a Russell Group university.
- Learn from active research leaders. Our philosophy is to provide a research-connected student experience combining active learning and authentic assessment. You will be taught by some of the world’s leading academic experts who are passionate about their research activity.
- Take part in a collaborative and active learning approach. Exchange ideas and experiences via discussion forums with your international peers which facilitate interaction, motivation and learning, through promoting constructivist, critical and higher-order thinking.
- Immerse yourself in action-based learning. Your study activities have been designed to actively engage you in solving real-world problems within their context. This will enable you to integrate new knowledge into your working and social environment.
- Prepare for your professional career. Our curriculum content and teaching have been developed with a strong focus on your future employment.
The Psychology MSc consists of the following taught modules and a final dissertation project.
There is a brief break scheduled between modules to allow students to refresh themselves and reflect on what they have learned.
- Mind, Brain and Behaviour (15 credits)
- Social Psychology (15 credits)
- Data Analysis for Psychologists (15 credits)
- Personality, Individual Differences and Intelligence (15 credits)
- Cross-Cultural Issues in Lifespan Development (15 credits)
- Psychology of Learning (15 credits)
- Cognitive Psychology (15 credits)
- Psychobiology (15 credits)
- Dissertation (60 credits)
*Please note, these modules are not finalised and may be subject to change.
Learn from industry experts
This programme is run by The Department of Psychology at the University of Liverpool, which is one of the UK’s oldest academic psychology departments, having been established in 1947. We are known for our world-class research, which is focused on improving the health, wellbeing, and lives of societies across the globe. Today we are one of the UK’s leading psychology departments.
Enhance your career opportunities
The scientific aspects of this programme provide useful tools for careers in healthcare, law enforcement, finance, IT and research. While the understanding of human behaviour and motivation and the ability to critically analyse and formulate a considered response lends well to careers in the creative industries, legal sector, government administration and education.
Download a prospectus for more details on the career support you will receive as a University of Liverpool student.
Learn online anytime, anywhere
Get the University of Liverpool experience wherever you are in the world. This online course features interactive classes and regular contact with staff and fellow students across the globe. Teaching is delivered through our state-of-the-art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which provides students with access to all resources required for interactive study online. On this platform, you will be encouraged to work collaboratively with classmates and actively read around your topic through our comprehensive library of eBooks and journals.
Assessment is exclusively through online assignments rather than examinations. You will be assessed through a range of activities, including written assignments, discussion forum participation and journal entries.
Love what you've read so far?
One of the best ways to see if the programme is right for you is to join one of our regular virtual events where you will be introduced to our range of online programmes, our online learning facilities, and Q&A’s with staff to help you make the best decision about the future of your education.