You will be introduced to modern molecular methods in biotechnology. This masters course gives you options to specialise in your area of interest. You'll gain specialist knowledge and practical skills in your chosen pathway:
- animal biotechnology - reproductive biotechnologies to stem cell therapies
- plant biotechnology - plant genetic manipulation, plant breeding and genome research
- microbial biotechnology - gene expression and metabolic engineering of micro-organisms
You'll use our specialist teaching laboratories. Gain training in advanced molecular methods and high-throughput technologies.
Our links with industry give you opportunity to see innovations in practice. This covers food, biopharmaceuticals and biofuels industries. You will complete a three-month research project in an area of interest to you. This can take place on an industry placement or at the University.
Previous graduates have taken up roles with Lonza, AstraZeneca, Ipsen and Biogenuix Medsystems, India. Others have pursued research careers with Oxford and Cambridge University, and the BBSRC DTP PhD studentship.
- Core modules will provide practical experience in essential laboratory techniques. These include biochemical methods and molecular biological techniques. You'll focus on transgenic methods and the use of bioinformatics.
- You'll study the latest trends in biotechnology development. This covers products in the food, energy, and pharmaceutical industries. You'll gain an understanding of technological innovation. This will help you in the commercialisation and marketing of new products. In this module, we will highlight ethical concerns on the use of genetically modified systems.
- Professional skills are essential for career development. We'll train you in the skills required to gain success within the global job market. You'll evaluate your own skills, interests, and experiences to identify suitable opportunities.