- High quality new and well established staff with recent and relevant experience of secondary school provision.
- English and Welsh medium student provision.
- Our programme is the largest provider of Secondary PGCE training in Wales.
- Long established English and Welsh medium partnership schools and very experienced school /college mentors.
- Excellent subject and ICT resources available for students.
- The university is particularly well located and provides access to the beautiful Gower coastline and to a wide range of habitats for study.
- We are geographically well placed to serve the whole of South Wales.
- Opportunities are provided for developing both the theoretical and practical aspects of Biology teaching. Opportunities are also incorporated for learning about the teaching of other sciences at key stage 3.
- Post-course CPD opportunities.
- Module 01: Principles of Teaching, Learning and Pedagogy in Secondary Education (Level 6 - English only. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 02: Skills and learning across the Curriculum (Level 6 - Welsh or English. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 03: Investigating issues in Secondary Education (Level 6 and 7 - Welsh or English. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 04: Curriculum Development and Enhancement (Level 6 - Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. and Level 7 - Post-graduate Cert.Ed.. Both English only)
- Module 05: Professional Teaching Experience (Level 6 - English or Welsh/bilingual. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available
PGCE with QTS
- John Hywel Davies
Module 01 Principles of teaching, learning and pedagogy in secondary education
- Coursework: 8000 words
- Literature reviews/ Reflective presentation / Evaluative commentary
Module 02 Skills across the curriculum
- Coursework - 4000 words
- Conference style paper
Module 03a or 03 Investigating issues in secondary education
- Coursework : 4000 words equivalent
- An investigation using problem based learning & critical evaluation.
Module 04a or 04 Curriculum development and enhancement
- Coursework : 4000 words equivalent
- A critical analysis of a teaching intervention
Professional Teaching Experience
- Placement [100%]
- Achievement of QTS evidenced by PDP and formative and summative assessments by mentors, senior mentors and tutors. Moderated by University internal and external examiners
The South West Wales Centre of Teacher Education has excellent graduate employment rates with 99% of graduates going into employment or further study (DLHE 14/15).
Many school and college departments, both locally and nationally, are staffed with several of our teachers and many of our trainees have gone on to forge successful teaching careers at strategic, professional and management levels at home and abroad.
Our PGCE graduates usually remain in close touch with us as they make their careers in the teaching profession and they often become Subject Mentors on the programme. This creates a very strong, sustainable professional network of teachers which is a rich source of continuing professional development.
Recently our PGCE Biology graduates have gone on to work as Secondary Teachers in many independent and state schools in Wales, England and abroad including (but not limited) to:
Lucton School (Leominster), Chew Valley School (Somerset), Queen Elizabeth High School (Carmarthen), Eastern High (Cardiff), Ysgol Dyffryn Amman (Ammanford), St Teilo's Church in Wales High School (Cardiff), Holyrood Academy (Somerset), Mary Immaculate Catholic High School (Wenvoe), Bedwas High (Caerphilly).
During the programme you will have access to good library resources, ICT facilities and dedicated laboratories. You will participate in sessions designed to improve your knowledge of lesson planning, practical work, managing pupils' behaviour, as well as the relevant aspects of current science courses in Key stage 3, 4 and 5. Opportunities will be given for you to carry out practical work and to consider safety issues.
The Science curriculum in Key stage 3 is now predominantly skills-based and you will have the opportunity to find out more about the skills framework and the National Curriculum. You will be prepared to teach the literacy and numeracy components of the curriculum as well as the Curriculum Cymreig and other skill areas. You will be introduced to the content of GCSE and 'A' level courses as well as to assessment. The importance of assessment for learning will be emphasised. You will find out more about cognitive approaches to teaching and about questioning as well as structuring lessons.
The fundamental aims of the PGCE Biology programme are to develop the skills of trainees, particularly the skill of critical evaluation, so that they can reflect on practice. You will have opportunities to teach during placements in secondary schools.
Crucially, your development as a teacher will be guided by an experienced teacher who will act as your mentor at your placement school. You will be encouraged to reflect on your teaching experiences in school in the light of discussion with your mentors and your tutor.
You will be encouraged to read widely to familiarise yourself with the factors, issues and educational theories that influence learning. Through reflection and regular evaluation of your own practice you will be expected to show gradual improvement in the standards of your own teaching and of pupils learning. Your success will be measured against criteria leading to the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
If you are called to an interview you would need to undertake 30 minute Literacy and Numeracy tests and if you wanted to follow the course through the medium of Welsh, an additional Welsh Literacy test. You will be given a formal interview by a subject tutor and will be asked to undertake a presentation related to your subject area. You will also have an extended writing exercise and an opportunity to show subject awareness at school level. This may include a group discussion. You would need to demonstrate a passion and enthusiasm for your subject. An interest in young people and how they learn is essential.
- PGCE Secondary Chemistry with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Physics with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Science 11-16 with QTS
- PGCE Primary with QTS