A PGCE in secondary geography at UWTSD Swansea allows you to gain all of the essential knowledge, understanding and practical experience to enter the teaching profession.
The course is divided into a theoretical university based section and two school-based practical experiences. Whilst on the course you will work closely with other students who will provide you with a support network throughout the year.
The university based section is delivered by experienced staff members who are fully dedicated to your development as a professional.
You will gain tutorage in all aspects of planning and delivering the geography curriculum, and you will develop a thorough understanding of practical issues such as assessment, behaviour management and key organisational skills. In addition to this, you will have the opportunity to experience expert guidance in all matters related to your wider professional development as a teacher.
During the school based placements you will have the opportunity to teach under the close guidance of a trained subject mentor. This experience will be graduated in nature so you will start with a limited timetable and work up to a majority timetable by the end of the course.
You will have the opportunity to teach key stages 3 and 4, with key stage 5 experience also available to most trainees. You will work in two different schools that will chosen by your tutor according to your individual needs.
Our programme is the largest of its kind in Wales and we are in the ideal position for students to access schools across the South Wales region. We have the best employment rate of all of the Initial Teacher Training and Education centres in Wales, and you will be given support in finding employment upon successful completion of the course.
Our staff members have a wide range of skills and expertise including: very recent teaching experience, inspection participation, INSET training for practicing teachers, advisory/consultant experience, and setting, marking and moderation work with major exam boards.
- Module 01: Principles of Teaching, Learning and Pedagogy in Secondary Education (Level 6 - English only. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 02: Skills and learning across the Curriculum (Level 6 - Welsh or English. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 03: Investigating Issues in Secondary Education (Level 6 and 7 - Welsh or English. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 04: Curriculum Development and Enhancement (Level 6 - Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. and Level 7 - Post-graduate Cert.Ed.. Both English only)
- Module 05: Professional Teaching Experience (Level 6 - English or Welsh/bilingual. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
PGCE with QTS
- Robert Sam Nelson
Module 01 Principles of teaching, learning and pedagogy in secondary education
- Coursework: 8000 words
- Literature reviews/ Reflective presentation / Evaluative commentary
Module 02 Skills across the curriculum
- Coursework - 4000 words
- Conference style paper
Module 03a or 03 Investigating issues in secondary education
- Coursework : 4000 words equivalent
- An investigation using problem based learning & critical evaluation.
Module 04a or 04 Curriculum development and enhancement
- Coursework : 4000 words equivalent
- A critical analysis of a teaching intervention
Professional Teaching Experience
- Placement [100%]
- Achievement of QTS evidenced by PDP and formative and summative assessments by mentors, senior mentors and tutors. Moderated by University internal and external examiners
The South West Wales Centre of Teacher Education has excellent graduate employment rates with 99% of graduates going into employment or further study (DLHE 14/15).
Many school and college departments, both locally and nationally, are staffed with several of our teachers and many of our trainees have gone on to forge successful teaching careers at strategic, professional and management levels at home and abroad.
Our PGCE graduates usually remain in close touch with us as they make their careers in the teaching profession and they often become Subject Mentors on the programme. This creates a very strong, sustainable professional network of teachers which is a rich source of continuing professional development.
Recently our PGCE Geography graduates have gone on to work as Secondary teachers in many independent and state schools in Wales, England and abroad including (but not limited) to:
If you are called to an interview you would need to undertake 30 minute Literacy and Numeracy tests and if you wanted to follow the course through the medium of Welsh, an additional Welsh Literacy test. You might also be asked to undertake: a presentation related to geography, group discussion, an extended writing exercise based on the role of geography in secondary education, a formal interview with a subject tutor and school mentor.
As well as excellent subject knowledge, you would need to demonstrate a passion and enthusiasm for your subject.
- PGCE Primary with QTS