The course includes interactive seminars, lectures and workshops. These provide students with key principles, practical ideas and resources that equip them to teach modern foreign languages. 12 weeks of the course are spent in university and 24 in schools. There is an emphasis on developing subject knowledge using ICT, as well as opportunities for group work with native speakers.
During the year the students submit coursework assignments with the possibility of gaining credits towards a Master's degree. During school placements practising teachers and tutors formally observe and assess a number of lessons. At the end of each term the students receive written reports which summarises their progress towards meeting the standards for the award of QTS.
You can choose from the following language options:
French (UCAS course code: 2X6B)
French and German (UCAS course code 2X67)
French with Spanish (UCAS course code 2X6C)
Spanish with French (UCAS course code 2X6F)
- Induction course for foreign nationals.
- Language enhancement sessions.
- Field trips.
- Financial incentives (training grant).
- Placements in either English or Welsh medium schools.
- We are geographically well placed to serve the whole of South Wales
- Our programme is the largest provider of Secondary PGCE training in Wales.
- Long established English and Welsh medium partnership schools and very experienced school /college mentors.
- Excellent subject and ICT resources available for students.
- Post-course CPD opportunities.
- We have the best employment rate in Wales.
- Module 01: Principles of Teaching, Learning and Pedagogy in Secondary Education (Level 6 - English only. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 02: Skills and learning across the Curriculum (Level 6 - Welsh or English. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 03: Investigating Issues in Secondary Education (Level 6 and 7 - Welsh or English. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 04: Curriculum Development and Enhancement (Level 6 - Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. and Level 7 - Post-graduate Cert.Ed.. Both English only)
- Module 05: Professional Teaching Experience (Level 6 - English or Welsh/bilingual. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
PGCE with QTS