- High quality new and well established staff with recent and relevant experience of secondary school provision.
- English and Welsh medium student provision.
- We are geographically well placed to serve the whole of South Wales.
- Our programme is the largest provider of Secondary PGCE training in Wales.
- Long established English and Welsh medium partnership schools and very experienced school /college mentors.
- Excellent subject and ICT resources available for students.
- Post-course CPD opportunities.
- We have the best employment rate throughout Wales.
The course covers training in a wide variety of teaching techniques with opportunities to try ideas out in the partner schools. This course will equip trainees to teach Science within the 11-16 age range in a variety of schools and colleges (including Welsh medium if requested). The course provides you with training to teach Science i.e. Biology, Chemistry and Physics up to GCSE examinations.
The fundamental aims of the PGCE Science programme are to develop the skills of a trainee Science teacher who is able to reflect on practice gained through teaching experience in school; who can analyse that experience in the light of discussion with mentors and others and also in the light of their reading; and evaluate their practice effectively to demonstrate gradual improvement in the standards of their own teaching and pupils learning.
- Module 01: Principles of Teaching, Learning and Pedagogy in Secondary Education (Level 6 - English only. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 02: Skills and learning across the Curriculum (Level 6 - Welsh or English. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 03: Investigating Issues in Secondary Education (Level 6 and 7 - Welsh or English. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 04: Curriculum Development and Enhancement (Level 6 - Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. and Level 7 - Post-graduate Cert.Ed.. Both English only)
- Module 05: Professional Teaching Experience (Level 6 - English or Welsh/bilingual. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
PGCE with QTS
Module 01 Principles of teaching, learning and pedagogy in secondary education
- Coursework: 8000 words
- Literature reviews/ Reflective presentation / Evaluative commentary
Module 02 Skills across the curriculum
- Coursework - 4000 words
- Conference style paper
Module 03a or 03 Investigating issues in secondary education
- Coursework : 4000 words equivalent
- An investigation using problem based learning & critical evaluation.
Module 04a or 04 Curriculum development and enhancement
- Coursework : 4000 words equivalent
- A critical analysis of a teaching intervention
Professional Teaching Experience
- Placement [100%]
- Achievement of QTS evidenced by PDP and formative and summative assessments by mentors, senior mentors and tutors. Moderated by University internal and external examiners
The South West Wales Centre of Teacher Education has excellent graduate employment rates with 99% of graduates going into employment or further study (DLHE 14/15).
Many school and college departments, both locally and nationally, are staffed with several of our teachers and many of our trainees have gone on to forge successful teaching careers at strategic, professional and management levels at home and abroad.
Our PGCE graduates usually remain in close touch with us as they make their careers in the teaching profession and they often become Subject Mentors on the programme. This creates a very strong, sustainable professional network of teachers which is a rich source of continuing professional development.
If you are called to an interview you would need to undertake 30 minute Literacy and Numeracy tests and if you wanted to follow the course through the medium of Welsh, an additional Welsh Literacy test. You might also be asked to undertake: a presentation related to your subject area, group discussion, an extended writing exercise, a formal interview with a subject tutor and school mentor.
You would need to demonstrate a passion and enthusiasm for your subject.
- PGCE Primary with QTS