This pathway is part of our BA (Hons) Marketing Communications course. You will be introduced to the fundamentals of marketing communications practice in your first year of study, followed by the option to choose one of four pathways from year two; Marketing Communications, Marketing Communications with Public Relations, Marketing Communications with Advertising, Marketing Communications with Digital Media.
Public relations is practiced in a range of sectors and industries. The focus of public relations is to build lasting relationships and positive reputations, through communication with an organisation's stakeholder groups, in order to achieve mutually beneficial gain. As a graduate of this course, you will be equipped to enter a variety of potential careers where it is vital to have knowledge and expertise in managing stakeholder relationships and reputation, and enacting the technical and strategic communication advisor roles.
- Develop a solid understanding of the historical roots of marketing communications, with a specific focus on public relations and the fast-paced, rapidly changing context in which it takes place globally
- Apart from developing technical skills that will enable you to enter the profession, also hone your skills in strategic public relations management, crisis communication, influencer relations and event management, to name a few
- Graduate with highly-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Get a head start in the industry from working on live briefs for unit assessments and learning from professionals in our masterclass series
- Gain Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) and Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) professional qualifications during your studies, as well as exemptions towards a CIM Diploma in Professional Marketing after graduating
- Study abroad for a semester at one of our partner universities in Thailand, USA, Belgium, France or Turkey
- Put your skills to the test in The Pitch, the CIM’s nationwide competition where you'll be set a real-life marketing challenge by a leading global brand and pitch your ideas as a team in front of business professionals
- Help organise the Mike Warne Event in your final year of study, the only student-organised event in the whole of the CIM’s national event programme, bringing together leaders in the industry
- Complete a work placement anywhere in the world, giving you the chance to make great career contacts and bolster your blossoming resume.