Communication and media affects everything, from how we present our identity on social media through to the most significant global challenges facing society such as 'fake news', political division, and even tackling climate change.
Communication and media is so important to organisations of all types, in all sectors, who are increasingly valuing the need for adaptable, interdisciplinary experts to manage their communication strategies internally and externally. This multi-purpose and exciting degree provides you with the expertise required to understand, analyse, and produce effective communication strategies to local and global audiences.
- Develop a critical understanding of the role the media plays in culture and society - ranging from the rise of the 'influencer' to the promotion of social issues
- Master communication theories that can be applied across any media platform - including narrative structures and audience theories
- Work on live briefs with local charities in the Community and Digital Engagement unit. Charities that students have previously worked with include Volunteer Centre Dorset, Transition Bournemouth, The Pantry Partnership, B.O.L.D. Colour & Sound, Hengistbury Head, GECCO - Early Years Childcare Environment, BU Social Enterprises Forum, Dorset Road Safety and ACTS Fast
- Demonstrate an interdisciplinary practical skillset in multi-media design and production - including audio, video, scriptwriting and online publishing
- Work at prestigious companies across a range of industries as placement students and graduates - including Nintendo, Adobe, Mercedes, and Walt Disney. Our graduates have progressed into roles such as account executive, communication officer, copywriter, PR executive and concept managers
- Access industry-standard software and technical production facilities - including HD TV and Radio studios
- You'll have the opportunity to study abroad for a semester at one of our partner universities in Canada, Czech Republic, Romania, Netherlands or Thailand
- Publish news and features across our student platforms: Fresher Publishing and Nerve Media.