Heriot-Watt University was established in 1821, and is based in Edinburgh, with other campuses in the Scottish Borders, Orkney, Dubai and Malaysia. The University is proud that 80% of its students find a graduate-level job six months after completing their studies. Heriot-Watt has most recently been ranked as the 18th University in the UK by the Guardian University League Tables 2016.
There are six different schools at Heriot-Watt University. These are:
- The School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society
- The School of Life Sciences
- The School of Management and Languages
- The School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
- The School of Textiles and Design
- Edinburgh Business School
Outside of academic studies, students can partake in sports clubs, of which belong to the Sports Union. There are currently 30 sports clubs at the University, and there are annual social events that run alongside the clubs for those students involved. There are also over 50 societies for the students to become part of, which are run by the Students Union. On site students can also find a nightclub, an advice centre and a student shop.