Planning guides the future development and use of land. It is about where development should happen, where it should not and how it affects the quality of our surroundings. Urban and regional planning strives to design and deliver equitable, inclusive and sustainable communities where people can live, work and enjoy their leisure time. This involves promoting and facilitating development while
protecting and enhancing the natural and built environment.
Our Urban and Regional Planning degree is designed to equip you with the knowledge and practical skills needed to work as a professional planner. You will develop the ability to ask the right questions and find creative solutions to the challenges facing communities and the built environment.
Flexible study options
This course can be studied full-time, part-time or via Independent Distance Learning (IDL), ideal for those in employment or with other commitments, providing flexible study options that fit around work or family.Mode of studyDurationStart date Full-time 1 year September Part-time 2 years September Independent Distance Learning (IDL) 2-7 years* January/September
*On average, our Diploma courses studied via IDL are completed in 2-3 years, while the MSc is completed in 2.5-7 years. Most students intend to complete their studies via IDL within 2-3 years.
This course equips you with the knowledge and skills to work as a professional planner. Our strong links to practitioners and employers are a vital part of developing these skills as well as your network of connections.
Students have the opportunity to engage with industry through guest lecturers, site visits and on research and coursework projects:
- All students are given the opportunity to have an external mentor who is a local practitioner that provides career guidance and advice.
- Previous companies who have provided guest lecturers include:
- Met Office
- Adaptation Scotland
- Students are given the opportunity to go on a tour of Scotland's central belt visiting Bo'ness, Helix Park and Stirling. Industry experts attend the tour and share their wealth of knowledge and expertise.
- Staff and lecturers are actively engaged in a variety of research projects relating to building design, specification, management and operation and have extension knowledge to share.
This course is delivered by the Royal Academy of Engineering Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design. One of only four Centres established at UK universities and the only one in Scotland, forming a national network to demonstrate and exchange best practice in teaching and research for the sustainable built environment.
Our students and graduates
6 months after graduation in 2016, 100% of students surveyed from MSc Urban and Regional Planning have secured graduate level jobs across the UK, German and Nigeria.
- Colliers International
- Scottish Borders Council
- Scottish Borders Housing Association
Hear from some of our graduates:
- Nikola Miller
- Zheng Qian
This course is accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute which offers excellence links with local employers through their Partnership Board.