This course is now full for September 2021 entry. You may still apply, but your application may be held on a waiting list (either prior to or following an interview). If your application is on a waiting list, we will inform you if a space becomes available by the end of June. Please note: there is still space on the Foundation Year option for this course and applications are still being processed for this entry route.
Why study BSc (Hons) Midwifery at BU?
- You can opt to study at either of our campuses – Bournemouth or Portsmouth.
- With a strong emphasis on women-centred care, the course offers an equal balance of theory and practice.
- 50% of the course will be spent in practice placements, in community and hospital settings, where you’ll learn from your interactions with women, families, midwives and other health professionals.
- You’ll be introduced to new equipment and skills in our simulation facilities, including a birthing suite, where you can familiarise yourself with techniques prior to going into practice.
- Learn from experienced and knowledgeable registered midwives and other healthcare practitioners.
Funding support: Midwifery students may be eligible for a non-repayable government training grant of at least £5,000 a year. Find out more about the funding.
Foundation Year: We have a Foundation Year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the scientific skills needed to prepare you for the Midwifery degree, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will progress to the full degree and begin your Midwifery study. The Foundation Year will be based at the Talbot Campus, Bournemouth.